McPappy Team Driver Dom Ruggiere's Avatar

AE Shock Lengths

Very important to have even and correct shock lengths... I re-check my lengths each time I rebuild my shocks as they might change...

AE shock Length with RPM Long ball cups 3.275 fully extended.

Cut RPM long cups just after the R and this will get you close to start with, adjust as needed...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dominic Ruggiere
    McPappy Racing

McPappy Team Driver
    This for 13.5 spec? center shock length?

McPappy Team Driver
    Last edited by shaddy; June 24th, 2015 at 05:24 PM.

McPappy Team Driver Dom Ruggiere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaddy View Post
    This for 13.5 spec? center shock length?
    side shock length is more of a build thing then a chassis handling thing... So this length will work in any class...
    Dominic Ruggiere
    McPappy Racing

So are these AE shocks ( I like IRS VCS's better ) preferred over the Silva's that come with the 2.1 kit?
    I understand it's comparing bladder shocks versus the VCS's which is totally different..

AE shocks are used by most of the top drivers, but it's a personal preference. Instead of thinking of it like, which is better, think of it more like, don't change a known setup if you don't have to. There are so many variables in RC setups. Bill and Dustin Malicoat designed a shock dyno for a company, but we don't have access to it. Eventually it would be great to compare the Silva side shocks to the Associated so we can get the oil and piston equivalents the same. For example, the Silva's have 2 holes in the piston which means the oil in a Silva needs to be heavier than Associated.

Then there is bladder vs emulsion shocks issue. Bladder shocks tend to be more forgiving and aren't forced to move the oil immediately as the bladder expands a little. Bladder shocks act a little more "springy". I may develop an emulsion conversion kit for the Silva's soon. That will be sweet if it works, because Silva's shafts are longer which helps newer racers who don't know how to get the lengths right. Silva's can hold their oil longer too. Not to mention Associated has discontinued their VCS shocks.

McPappy Team Driver
    Can someone send me in the right direction on side shock lengths? IRS length? Silva Length? Are they the same as associated? Also what oil weight would be recommended?? I see associated are discontinuing their vcs shocks and that's all I ran and know nothing about any other shock.

It doesn't matter what side shock you run. Length is the same. Fully extended pivot point to pivot point is 3.00".
    AE oil is usually 30-35wt. Silvas are usually 70-80wt for the same feel.

Thread Information